Blackberry Lemon Roll Cake
A spring blackberry lemon Roll Cake with a light and fluffy lemon sponge cake filled with sweet blackberry compote and fresh whipped cream frosting.
FOR THE CAKE:
- ¾ cup cake flour, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups fresh blackberries, hulled and sliced
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- WHIPPED CREAM
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Get Ingredients Powered by Chicory
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with baking spray. Line with parchment and spray parchment again.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of the sugar on high speed until thick, pale and ribbonlike. Add in the lemon zest and extract. Beat until combined. Transfer the egg yolk mixture into a large bowl.
- Clean the bowl of the stand mixer. With the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add in the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Increase mixer speed to high and beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture in 2 additions, until just combined.
- Sift the flour mixture over the batter and fold in gently.
- Transfer the batter immediately to the prepared pan and spread evenly. You do not want to overwork the batter and deflate the air you just whipped into it.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 8 minutes.
- While cake is baking, dust a clean dish towel with the confectioners’ sugar.
- When cake is done, immediately loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn over onto the prepared towel. Peel off the parchment paper.
- Starting with one short end, roll up the cake and towel together and place it seam side down on a cooling rack. Let cake cool completely, about two hours.
- In the meantime prepare the filling and frosting. In a medium saucepan combine the blackberries and sugar. Cook over medium-low heat until berries break down and juices run, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl. Let cool completely.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, whisk the heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar and lemon extract on low speed.. Increase speed to medium-high and whisk until soft peaks form.
- Fold in half of the blackberry compote into the whipped cream.
- Gently unroll the cooled cake and spread half of the blackberry whipped cream filling over the cake, leaving a 1/2 -inch border.
- Re-roll the cake without the towel. Top with the remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish the cake with confectioner’s sugar and blackberries.
Cake Adapted from Bake from Scratch
Soure : aclassictwist.com